Share|

Links to Official Art??

View previous topic View next topic Go down
AuthorMessage

I'm not 100% on where to put this, but it's slightly related to characters (though it is a question)

Where could I find 'official' references to characters? I wanted to draw them chibi, but online there's a few variations between costume design and such.

If anyone has any links to official stuff?

(*is drawing Jean, Oliver, and maybe more*)

Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Administrator
Hapo

Eli's working on the reference section on the forum, but it's not open to the public (non-crew members) yet. Sherry's art has been pretty hard to find lately, let's see...

You can still find the original province and territory images on the IAMP Wiki but be warned... some people who are not part of the project cast/crew have been editing it and some pages, images, or information might be... ah... misplaced. xD; (ALSO EW OLD ART BY ME EVERYWHERE thanks for having that much confidence in me Ina ;u; haha. I did not edit my old profile page either ick don't look at that)

Sherry did a really lovely height chart of all the provinces and territories as well which I might still have a copy of...

Finally, Amanda is doing the official references for this project and you can find her work here.

If you need any clarification on colours or hair or clothes, give us a shout. c:
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://hapo57.deviantart.com/

Thank you so much for the links!!

The height chart is awesome, so thank you. I'll pm someone if I need to know specific hair colours too Smile

And I'm sure your old art isn't that bad! I mean, you've probably improved but I'm sure if was fine back then too! Cx

Back to top Go down
Administrator
Hapo

Not a problem, happy to help. Thanks for bringing it up!

haha that's very kind of you hehe I cringe a lot looking at some of my old video art. Ironically the stuff I worked least hard on (I Am Alberta) tended to be the best, but that just seems to be an artist thing that happens to everyone xD (On the other hand it was much more recent than the rest as well).
Back to top Go down

Perhaps you just have a talent to make better artwork without trying! A natural talent? Haha

OH I saw "I am Alberta". I must say the humour and tone of video was great, not to mention art being good!

I aspire to that actually... Do you use references..? Any tips at all? Cx
Back to top Go down
Administrator
Hapo

Nooo it's less about natural talent and more about practicing all the time. Practicing hard and doodling lazily as well as careful observation are all really important "talent" building blocks".

I'm glad you liked "I am Alberta"- it was and continues to be my pride and joy. c: A lot of people don't realize that Rhin and I did our "I am" episodes completely and utterly by ourselves- scripted, drawn, voiced and edited- and they were never actual planned episodes (which is why they're so short and doodly).

First question on reference: I am more cautious about answering this question now that I realize some people have different understandings of "reference". There are people out there who think tracing a picture and posting it as their own counts as 'reference' so I fear I might have mislead some people haha. I think of it as life drawing or collecting a whole bunch of images and looking at them and going "so how the hell does a leg work anyway hmm". (Tracing is fine as a learning tool as long as you're not like posting it and saying lol i did this from scratch. ESPECIALLY if it is from another artist, just don't do that it's ruuuude as heckity heck. Do it if you want but don't post it online without the artist's permission.)

Honestly often I am very lazy about using reference in day to day drawings, but if I am travelling or focusing on improving I will use it like crazy. I cannot recommend timed gesture drawings enough- they helped me improve by leaps and bounds. There are a lot of good sites online for doing them if you are like me and often find yourself stuck in the middle of the countryside with no one to draw but squirrels or your sister xD. I draw people while I'm on the train or at restaurants as well, and sometimes I do scenery too. The best way is to draw something from memory (say a bicycle), find a reference image, and go back and fix things (like when you use your old marks on a test to study- at least, that's what you should be doing haha). It helps kind of lock that knowledge in your brain.

The other key that people often comment about my art is draw quickly and draw expressively. Loosen up those stiff shoulders and draw the ABSOLUTE STUPIDEST FACES YOU CAN POSSIBLY THINK OF. Make faces while you draw. I cannot stress how important this is. Learn to push yourself to draw faster so you don't stress about eye placement or proportions. Draw faster so you don't have shaky lines and stiff arms. I take requests every so often specifically for stupid drawings like these and interpret the requests however I see fit, just as long as I get the drawings done in under five minutes. (Maybe I'll open up requests again this weekend)

Sorry this is a bit of an info dump but I'm always happy to share tips and tricks. You can always comment on my art post on the forum or deviantart or tumblr or whatever and ask "how the hell did you do that" and I can either explain or I can say "I DON'T KNOW PLEASE SEND HELP". I also do livestreams on occasion if that's a better method.
Back to top Go down

No no no that's not an info dump! Thank you very much, I'm trying to improve more so on male bodies so I might eventually help out a tad with the drawing department of this project (maybe).

Again thank you so, so much! I was feeling bad looking up pictures of postures and stuff Cx. I'll try the funny expressions thug though, that sounds awesome.

(I'm sorry for short replies, like it must've taken time to write all that up and I feel bad, gosh dang)
Back to top Go down
Administrator
Hapo

Naah no worries about short replies I'm happy to help OuO

male bodies I've always found hard- they're so angular and they have weird hip bones what's goin' on there. I tend to pick basic shapes and go from there (mani is a rectangle square, sask is a squishy circle beanpole, bert is a DORITO ON TINY LEGS)

BUT on the other hand I've made them look a bit more ~manly~ over the years and my parents no longer say "is that you?" when I'm drawing anyone (except ontario for some reason haha)
Back to top Go down

Don't I know it, girls are just like "hips that can be big, bust, waist, cute little shoulders", and guys... Don't get me started I'm trying too hard

And the basic shapes thing works for animals for me... But humans, not so much.... I've wondered how to do it properly Cx.

OH GOD— I have that problem kind of. Everything I'm half-done, my parents ask if it's a girl and it's like "no mum I promise it's adorable Arthur Kirkland's face."
Back to top Go down

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down
Links to Official Art??
View previous topic View next topic Back to top
Page 1 of 1