Share|

Catchphrases

View previous topic View next topic Go down
AuthorMessage

I was wondering if any of the IAMP/PC characters had a catchphrase that characterizes them?

Like, I know Canada's catchphrase is "Maple" or "You noticed me!", but I wonder if the provinces have catchphrases themselves?

I keep thinking Nova Scotia's catchphrase is "Right some good" or "It's Nova Scotia time!"...
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://brolumbiaalbrash.wix.com/sabrinagardiner
Voice Actor
Hapo

I'm not a huge fan of catchphrases (especially "Maple," I always roll my eyes whenever aph canada says it. "Eh" is another one people get wrong too- it's very easy for people to use incorrectly apparently). But yeah catchphrases tend to annoy me very quickly because people use them to fall back on when they don't have a good grasp of the characters and just use them as dialogue filler instead of to advance the plot.

However there are a few slang phrases that provinces will probably use from time to time and habits and stuff that they have that are sort of like catch phrases. Alberta for instance (and possibly the other prairie bros?) will say "Give 'er!" a lot. I think when he complains about Central Canada he calls them "Big Shots" (i.e. "those Big Shots back east"), which is a phrase that came directly out of Alberta politics during the Depression. Another phrase that he loves to use is "Let those Eastern Bastards Freeze in the Dark," although it's a little more tongue in cheek now than it was in the 80s. "Yeehaw" or "Howdy" he only really uses ironically or as a joke, and he never says "Y'all" (unless he's making fun of Texas). He's also the type to start singing country music while he's doing something ("Oooh the prairie lights are burnin' bright, chinook wind is a-movin' in")

And as usual Yukon will often roll her eyes and say "Cheechako(s)" when someone is inexperienced or perhaps cowardly about something she has no problem doing. (i.e. "It's m-m-m-minus 40?" "They're called layers, cheechako. Use 'em.")
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://hapo57.deviantart.com/

Yeah, I get what you mean. Some of the Hetalia catchphrases are really weird and don't seem to make any sense to me...

Like Italy's "Pasta ve~"? What does "ve~" even mean?
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://brolumbiaalbrash.wix.com/sabrinagardiner

From what I've read, "Ve~" is a something said by Italians, above all in Emilia-Romagna, whereas you could hear a "Be" in other Italian regions, which is an abbreviation of "bene", "good", and it has the same function of the English interjection "well" at the beginning of a sentence. I think Himapapa explained this in the very beginning of the first volume of Hetalia. I was at the library yesterday, and I read the beginning of the first volume there. I remember it was explaining what China's "Aru" meant, so I am guessing it also explained what Italy's "Ve" meant. I took the explanation from the Hetalia Archives. And I have to agree with Hapo on the catchphrases, they do tend to get annoying when people use them incorrectly. But I like the idea of them having something like a catchphrase, but not exactly.
Back to top Go down
Administrator ♚
DaZeli

Hapo wrote:
I'm not a huge fan of catchphrases (especially "Maple," I always roll my eyes whenever aph canada says it. "Eh" is another one people get wrong too- it's very easy for people to use incorrectly apparently). But yeah catchphrases tend to annoy me very quickly because people use them to fall back on when they don't have a good grasp of the characters and just use them as dialogue filler instead of to advance the plot.

However there are a few slang phrases that provinces will probably use from time to time and habits and stuff that they have that are sort of like catch phrases.

I tend to agree with everything you said, I do not like the idea of catchphrases and the closest thing I would let pass would be slang phrases that people tend to say in various context that are expression specific to the province or territory and its people, and so things like "It's Nova Scotia time!" are certainly not things people from there say often, and so would not make any sense what so ever.

My exemple would be Québec's swearing. People tend to overuse it in very inappropriate ways and make him sound like he's angry all the time.
We use specific swears to express various degrees of emotions, mostly surprise, anger and frustration. Like, people don't say "fuck" all the time, so why would Québec? I think he would use swearing for the 3 main emotions I mentioned before and that would be pretty much it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://project-canada.skyforum.net

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down
Catchphrases
View previous topic View next topic Back to top
Page 1 of 1