Share|

[Episode] Pilot Episode

View previous topic View next topic Go down
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
I live in the true north, strong and free, CANADA, and in the fabulous province of ONTARIO
Script Writer
Mkaniamlover

In Ontario, for grade school (grade 8) they focus a lot on before confederation, post confederation, life in BNA, reasons that BNA colonies came together and what not
Back to top Go down
View user profile
(Lower Peninsula) Michigan, United States
Voice Actor
RubySapph

Even Canadian history here in Michigan only really focuses on Québec, Ontario, and Manitoba. Probably the last two moreso. I couldn't tell you anything about the Maritimes, and the only reason I might know about the west and Newfoundland would be Hapo's timelines. Curriculum really has to get better in a lot of places, huh?
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://gay-stripe.tumblr.com
I live in the true north, strong and free, CANADA, and in the fabulous province of ONTARIO
Script Writer
Mkaniamlover

I agree, they barely touch upon other provinces/territories...they need to update the curriculum...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Illustrator
Berry Marais

When I was growing up, my school didn't teach us about Canada at all. The only reason I knew Canada even existed was because of hockey, and because I was a nerdy little kid who read encyclopedias for fun. Oh, and I had a subscription to Ranger Rick magazine, which devoted an entire issue to Canada.

But to my mind, THE WOODS was all that lay to the north of Grandma and Grandpa's house; and it was hard for me to conceive that a whole 'nuther country lay beyond that.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://berrymarais.deviantart.com/
Script Writer
Mkaniamlover

So it's our duty *steps on rock* to teach people about past and present Canada, and Canada is not just forest and hockey *falls of rock because I lack balance*
Back to top Go down
View user profile

@ BerryMarais - The only other reason you'd know about Canada if you were an American who didn't know anything about it would be South Park. Terrance and Philip, you know? ;)
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://brolumbiaalbrash.wix.com/sabrinagardiner
Illustrator
AnfelMeva

Hitory in my school is not just about Quebec, well I just started… secondary 3 (dunno what is "3em secondaire" in english sorry X3) and this year is all about Canada, but mostly quebec of course, but during secondary 1 and 2 we were learning some important history things like, ancient Rome and Greece (Sparta etc) and then how why and how those european get to Amercan's continent and the USA and french and industrial revolution, and the colonies stuffs in Africa and WWs (mostly WW2)
I wish I could learn more about the entire Canada this year tho
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Administrator ♚
DaZeli

Quand je parle du secondaire en anglais, je dis "[Année du secondaire] year of High School", histoire que tout le monde comprenne, même si en Angleterre, les High Schools sont des Secondary Schools. Alors si tu dis "[Année du secondaire] year of Secondary School" les gens devraient te comprendre aussi, je crois. Hope that helped.

Anyway, I remember talking about Classic history in my first year of High School, but barely, and same goes for the second year. Really from the 3rd to 5th year everything was pretty much focused around Quebec and they always told me the same thing. In the end I passed my ministry exam with 95% and I never studied. I only read the wiki page of Quebec 6 times and I was good to go. All I remember is that these classes were soooo boring.

But I was in public school so it was to be expected I guess.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://project-canada.skyforum.net

The curricular changes slightly depending on which school you go to. Well I'm 99.99% sure that's true. In my elementary school, our history classes went all over the place. One day we'd be learning about Rome, the next, we were learning about the American Civil War. In my 5th/6th grade school, we were to busy learning about the science-I went to an environmental school-(with bits of LA and math) to learn any history. Though in 5th grade, we got to this musical on the history of Michigan. My district's middle schools and high schools tend to be two buildings with the exception of one I'm going to. Anyway, 7th-12th, we switch between American and World History every year. As for learning about Canada, I don't know if we'll learn about it. I'm in World History, but we start with the Stone Age and Classic Age, before anything else, which is where I am, so I'll just have to wait two years to find out.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

@ Zeli - I was actually researching the origins of Canadian place names recently, and mostly used Wikipedia, although sometimes I went to the city websites or to the government archives on geography. Wikipedia is OK if you're just researching for fun (like I am), but if you're in an academic situation you can't rely on it, as it's written by real people and so may not always be 100% accurate.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://brolumbiaalbrash.wix.com/sabrinagardiner

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down
[Episode] Pilot Episode
View previous topic View next topic Back to top
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2